Monday, June 29, 2009

Email to IMAX and their reply regarding Malaysia's IMAX theatre

Hey readers! I actually read my 1st comment on my blog today, so kudos to bewok kabo! Anyways, my intention for blogging about the defunct IMAX theatre was just that; to shed light on what happened to it and to make others aware too. I scoured the internet for news about what happened to that theatre, but I could only find an article in The Star Online (look under the "Cost Factor" heading). And a couple of weeks ago, I decided I would have to email IMAX to get some kind of answer. Below is the correspondence:

Thank you for your email to info@imax.com. The IMAX theatre in Kuala Lumpur is not longer operating as an IMAX theatre and has been removed from our website. Each IMAX theatre is individually owned and operated. At this time, we do not have a client interested in opening a theatre in Malaysia.


Best regards,

Sarah Armstrong

IMAX Corporation


From: Abdul Hayy Zulkifli
To: Info at IMAX
Subject: IMAX Theatre in Malaysia

To whom it may concern,

I am an avid IMAX fan, and I was really hoping to catch the Transformers 2 movie in IMAX this June in my country, Malaysia. However, when I went to the theatre in Kuala Lumpur, the lady at the counter said that it is no longer an IMAX theatre, since 2008. I looked up Malaysia on the IMAX website and you still list that Malaysia has a 3D IMAX theatre. What gives? Is there any way you can guarantee a decent experience for me when I watch Transformers at this 'ex-IMAX' theatre come June 24th? What happened to IMAX in Malaysia? So sad to see it go. Perhaps you will consider opening an IMAX theatre elsewhere in Malaysia? There are lots of enthusiastic movie fans in Malaysia, I assure you. Especially in the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor area.


Looking forward to receiving a response from you soon.


Thank you for your time.


Regards,
A disappointed Malaysian IMAX fan

-------

Yup, that's pretty much it, folks. Perhaps contacting DiGi wouldn't be a bad idea either..anyone out there up for it? ;) Of course, finding out what happened is one thing, but trying to get IMAX to come back to Malaysia is another. We should also look into whether the IMAX experience is really worth the trouble? Was it really ALL THAT? What do you all think? Are we better off with the current 3D direction that the Malaysian cinema companies have undertaken (e.g.3D movies, digital projection for select titles like Angels & Demons)? Sound off below!

Have a great day!

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Very enlightening! I had the same experience watching Transformers last Friday at the ex-IMAX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMAX projection requires that the cinema people obtain the proper 70mm film format, Berjaya Times Square had only been showing 'normal' 35mm films on that massive screen. That is why the image has always looked terrible. Ever since Polar Express there has not been one proper film shown in IMAX format in that IMAX theatre. However, there might be some hope if local entrepreneurs wish to invest in the IMAX format again, because it was stated in the Business Times that IMAX themselves wish to expand in this region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky enough to catch Polar Express at the former BTS IMAX theater. I'm very hopeful that IMAX will be back to grace our Malaysian shores very soon too. IMO what the former imax BTS lacked was proper movie investment and exposure (I remember waiting for Star Wars Ep.1 to come out in imax BTS for so long until it stopped airing). I'm all for bringing Imax back to Msia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. unable to watch Avatar in IMAX malaysia.. lol =.=

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arghhh!!! I should have read this earlier. I went to Berjaya Times Square today to watch Avatar at the IMAX theater only to be disappointed. I didn't even know it was closed since there is a huge "How To Train Your Dragon" poster with an Imax logo on it (apparently, it's just a generic Imax logo where I checked again later and it wasn't referring to the one at BTS).

    Even more funnily, the Cosmo World staff downstairs pointed me to the 10th floor when I asked about the Imax theater. She didn't mention about it being closed. Fortunately, the cashier on the 10th floor told me that the ticket I was about to buy was not for a 3D Avatar. So I asked why it wasn't in 3D since it is an IMAX theater and to my surprise, she told me that it is not IMAX anymore! And there I was wondering why I couldn't find the IMAX cinema showing times in the newspapers. Rupa-rupanya, sudah tutup! And for a year too! Don't they post this anywhere? I even Googled for the IMAX cinema showing times at BTS before going but found some websites still mentioning IMAX at BTS (I think one was the Berjaya Hotel too) so I didn't suspect that IMAX was close.

    Anyway, I Googled again now since I am back and had to search for "IMAX Malaysia closed" to even find this journal post. Apparently, there is no official announcement anywhere on the Internet and I didn't see it in newspapers. What a waste of time for me so I hope this page goes up in ranking on Google so more Malaysians would know that the IMAX at BTS is closed and not waste their time going there to watch IMAX movies. BTS also seems pretty slow with most shops closing at 9.30pm instead of 10pm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .... how dissapointing, considering I was planning to watch Alice In Wonderland this coming March in 3D, and just when I'm thinking of experiencing it for the first time TOO, aiyo. Looks like I'll be watching it in common cinemas/theaters until some major company decided to invest on it back, hm....

    ReplyDelete
  7. stupid management team. dunno how to do manage IMAX theatre. otherwise many people cud have cum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for all your comments! Yup, with the onslaught of 3D movies nowadays (some good, some not so good) I guess DiGi (the original owner of M'sia's IMAX) are kicking themselves. GSC is now well poised to capitalize. I think it would be pretty good for them to renew their interest in an IMAX theatre here in Msia.

    As Sarah of IMAX said, "At this time, we do not have a client interested in opening a theatre in Malaysia." so it is up to a Malaysian company to make a deal with IMAX! Otherwise there is always IMAX Singapore...~RM54/ticket anyone?

    ReplyDelete