Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Transformers: Age of Extinction opening night at Cathay Cineplex

Honestly, I wasn't too excited by the latest feature film in the Transformers movie franchise. It's called Transformers: Age of Extinction. I watched a couple of trailers and I've even featured one on my blog, but I felt that I would reserve judgment until I actually watched the movie. I will not be judging the movie in this blog entry. I leave that open to you, dear readers. 

My indecision

I was quite undecided on where to watch this movie, initially, and I paid the price. The tickets were on sale really early on..perhaps in early June? I can't recall. And by the time I did click through the relevant cinema websites, I could not find optimum seats any longer. 

I had to ask myself, shall I watch it in IMAX 3D or in plain 3D or in a Dolby Atmos theatre or just plain old run of the mill 2D ?

A quick Google search of the movie title yielded a lot of IMAX 3D references. Apparently Michael Bay has stated that unequivocally that IMAX 3D is the best way to catch the movie. Nuff said.

OK, we're supposed to catch it in IMAX 3D but I could not find any optimum seats by that time. Tough luck. I think Michael Bay did say that the next best way to catch the movie would be in a Dolby Atmos theatre, so I looked that up as well. No luck, the best seats were taken. And if they weren't yet taken, the showtime would be something that I can't manage; e.g. in the middle of the day or too late in the night. 

So, I was in damage control mode. I decided. Let's just watch it in the cheapest but most reasonable setting. This would leave room (and spare change) for me to maybe watch the movie again in a more optimal environment, such as in an Atmos or IMAX 3D theatre, IF it was worth a 2nd viewing, of course

My decision

My eyes fell upon Cathay Cineplex. I believe I've not blogged about this cinema. I have been there though. As early on as in 2006, I believe. One praise I have for Cathay (it was once called Cineleisure) was that it always seemed easy to get tickets there (it's not exactly a hub for moviegoers, in my view) AND the viewing and auditory experience was satisfactory. How can it be unsatisfactory, as its theatres have met the THX standard?


My fragile tickets

And it was indeed a very decent, straightforward experience. No real frills. The tickets themselves were printed on very cheap paper. I do not think they utilize electronic ticketing. I had to go to the counter, state my ticket reference number and the attendant would print out the seemingly incredibly fragile tickets. I regret I have no photo to show you all what the tickets were like, but please, feel free to go there and experience it yourself!

My takeaway

I would recommend Cathay Cineplex, located at e@curve, for those looking for seats to the latest movies in a pinch! There's no Dolby Atmos, D-Box or fancy IMAX theatres here, but they do guarantee all their theatres feature digital projection so there's no more Analog film reel in use by this cinema, I can tell you that :-)

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment