Sunday, December 16, 2012

3D HFR Screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Dear Readers,

I did manage to catch a HFR 3D screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and this time I was in seat from the beginning to the very end. In case you are wondering; no, there aren't any special scenes after the movie credits.

In any case, the difference between the IMAX 3D presentation and the HFR 3D presentation was immediately apparent. I was amazed at the stark difference and once again, my jaw dropped in wonder at how one movie could have such different presentations in circulation. In the IMAX 3D version, the scenes were actually blurry. The details in the visuals not as sharp. I was quite surprised at the quality of the IMAX version actually. Could it have been a poorly done IMAX version? I do not have the facts on this. The HFR 3D version, on the other hand, had sharp visuals all the way, which is what I expected from an IMAX 3D version in the first place!

As someone who first sat through the "less than ideal" version, I can fully appreciate the detail in the HFR version. If you watched the HFR version straight away, I would like to think that you would still be able to compare the visuals of previous movies that you have watched, with The Hobbit in HFR. Yes, I state HFR without the 3D because I am confident that the detail is apparent even in the 2D version. Though, I am not sure if there is a HFR 2D version available here in Malaysia. An analogy of my experience that I wish to convey to you, is similar to watching the standard presentation of a movie; that is, in its analog form without any 2D or 3D or anything added to it. Yes, I mean that grainy film quality. Keep that visual in mind and remember how you felt and what you saw when you stepped into a digital 2D presentation with all its quality and detail. That is the difference that you can expect when you go for a HFR presentation. It is another step forward but I also saw the visuals that probably made some reviewers or critics state: "looks like a video game" and "feels like watching it in the studio", "it looked fake" You would have to first experience HFR by yourself and see whether you like it or not.

To me, the HFR presentation is definitely the way to go when watching The Hobbit. I highly recommend it, borne out of my personal opinion and taste of course. The visuals were sharp and the motion blur was indeed reduced. You could really start to comprehend all the action scenes and further appreciate the movements of the characters, from both the virtual and real actors.

Here's looking forward to the next movie in HFR..any idea what movie that might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment